Terra Outfitters was opened in May 2015 by Brittany and David Durkin. Brittany and David have a combined 10+ years in run specialty and are both lifelong runners. Pittsburgh natives, Brittany and David lived in Atlanta for years, but felt the mountains calling them. Brittany took a break from her job as a teacher, and they moved to Blue Ridge in spring of 2015. David continues to work as a consultant for specialty run, bike, and outdoor small businesses all over the country.
"Terra" means land or earth. Terra Outfitters seeks to prepare runners, walkers, hikers, and active people to explore the beautiful earth around them. Brittany and David choose to carry brands that share the same mission as Terra Outfitters and help their customers keep an active lifestyle.
The trained staff at Terra Outfitters is equipped to help customers find the best kind of shoe for their foot and their activities. The fit process takes 10-15 minutes and includes:
1. Looking at the customer's old shoes. Did they work? What did you like? What didn't you like?
2. Discussing any pains or injuries in the customer's feet, ankles, knees, hips, or back.
3. Watching the customers walking gait.
4. Scanning the customer's foot on our foot scanner. The scanner tells us pressure points on the customer's feet.
5. Selecting several shoes from various brands for the customer to try on, and listening to the customer's feedback.
6. Watching the customers walking gait in each of the shoes.
We are strong believers in the benefits of shopping locally. Where you buy matters. Locally owned stores are more than just the corner store. They are the foundation of our economy. The places where communities unite and ideas thrive. They account for 75% of all new jobs and employ over half of all workers in America. They reinvest in the local economy at a 60% higher rate than chains.
Spend $100 at a locally owned business and $68 goes back to the local economy. Spend the same $100 at a national chain and only $43 returns to the local economy. Make your purchases matter. Put your money where your house is and support your friends and neighbors. Shop Local.